Neighborhood: Prospect Heights
PD Packard | printmaker + watercolorist + book artist
Lives + Works in Brooklyn, NY
Awarded a scholarship to St Martins School of Art (aka Central St Martins), London, England, obtained a combined BFA degree in Textile Design and Fashion in 1985.
Studied Chinese Calligraphy with artist Kwok Kay Choey, Brooklyn, NY. 2008 - 2013
Notable National & International Exhibitions
• June 9 – August 17, 2017, Reader’s Art: Control/Alt/Shift, Minnesota Center For Book Arts, Open Book’s Literary Commons, Minneapolis, MN.
• June 9 – June 30, 2017, Bugs of Paradise, Gray Area Gallery @InLiquid, Crane Arts Building, Philadelphia, PA.
• November 1 - December 10, 2016, A State of Mind 2016: The Boston Printmakers, Lamont Gallery, NH.
• October 27, 2015 – March 7, 2016, Insects too Lovely to Repel, solo exhibit at River’s Edge Gallery, Upper Black Eddy, PA.
• October 8 – November 1, 2015, Then and Now, Central Booking Gallery, NYC. Sponsored by Speedball Art Products & Akua Inks.
• August 16 – October 26, 2014, The International Biennial Print Exhibit: 2014 ROC, National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts.
• May 1 - May 31, 2014, Pattern, Graphics, Print, Tate Britain Museum, London, England.
• October 27 – December 20, 2013, The Boston Printmakers 2013 North American Print Biennial, Boston University’s 808 Gallery, Boston MA. Juror: Dennis Michael Jon.
• August 24 – October 26, 2013, No Man is an Island – The Masculine Landscape in the 21st Century, Printing Center of New Jersey, Branchburg, NJ. Juror: Sarah Schmerler.
• May 15 – June 15, 2013, 4th Guanlan International Print Biennial, Guanlan Art Museum, Shenzhen, China.
• September 6 – October 19, 2012, BOUNDLESS grensoverschrijdend grafiek, CBK Amsterdam Gallery & Amsterdams Grafisch Atelier, Amsterdam, Netherland. Curator: Jean Bernard Koeman.
• August 3 - 5, 2012, Parallax Art Fair, solo booth, 82 Mercer, NYC.
• May 19 - July 15, 2012, Shin Jidai - Contemporary Japanese Book & Paper Arts, Minnesota
• Center for the Book Arts, Minneapolis, MN.
• June 3 - 5, 2011, International Peace Art Exhibition, Harmony For Peace Foundation, Chelsea
• Art Museum, NYC.
• January 4 - March 28, 2011, PD Packard: rural watercolors, solo exhibit at the Apple Bank, Smithtown Township Arts Council, Smithtown, NY.
• July 9 - August 26, 2010, Category: Printmaking, WomanMade Gallery, Chicago, Il.
• November 22 - December 23, 2009, Print Americas, Silvermine Guild Arts Center, Cannan, CT. Juror: Jacob Lewis
Notable Projects & Events
• Creating an Experience: An Interview with Artist PD Packard. Featured artist on Anti-Heroin Chic, editor James Diaz. September 4, 2017
• Teaching Artist, Philadelphia Open Studio Tours | Workshop Itajime Shibori: Japanese Decorative Papermaking. Sponsored by Artist and Craftsman & Heavy Bubble Portfolio Websites for Artists. Demonstrated the 1000 years old method of papermaking at Artist and Craftsman, Chestnut Hill, and 1241 Carpenter Studios, located in South Philadelphia.
Upcoming September 25, 2017 and October 7, 2017
• Featured artist on The Postdigital Printmaker, a blog dedicated to sharing the work of artists that have taken up the challenge of incorporating emerging technologies into their artistic practices.
April 30, 2017
• Video Release: Printing Decorative Papers with Akua Inks
Video Directors: Christina Puma | Susan Rostow. Artist PD Packard takes you through the making of her printed decorative papers using Akua Intaglio and Liquid Pigment Inks. Sponsored by Speedball Art Products & Akua Inks.
Published: August 8, 2016
• Awarded an InLiquid/Blick Art Microgrant to teach a workshop on Insect Illustration. The class was held at the Community Roots Middle School, located in Brooklyn, NY.
May 25, 2016
• PD Packard was included in the Artists To Look Out For catalogue, sponsored by the Starry Night Programs.
Published December 1, 2015.
• PD Packard’s work is included in Palate to Plate: Prints and Recipes from Members of the Boston Printmakers. This full-color, 216-page book is also the catalogue for the 2014 Boston Printmakers Members’ Exhibition that was held at the Newport Art Museum in Fall 2014 – early January 2015.
• PD Packard is featured as a Spotlight Artist in artist and writer, Seth Apter’s book, The Mixed Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams From Over 40 Amazing Artists, North Light Books.
• Juror: Art for Peace Contest 2012, Sponsored by the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs and the Harmony for Peace Foundation.
• First Place Painting - 2009 Fifth Annual Art and Literary Competition: A Journey Through the Mind, Sculptural Pursuit Magazine. Interview, Spiritual Symbolism & Pragmatic Design, published Spring 2009 issue.
Teaching Artist, for collaborative workshops in NYC public schools. Awarded InLiquid & Blick Art Microgrant, June 2016. Taught workshops on Insect Illustration, Japanese Decorative Paper Making, Art Journal | Mixed Media, and Chinese Calligraphy & Brush Painting.
2011 – Current
Teaching Artist, Philadelphia Open Studio Tours | Workshop on Itajime Shibori: Japanese Decorative Papermaking. Sponsored by Heavy Bubble Portfolio Websites for Artists, PysankyUSA, Artist and Craftsman Supply, and the Center For The Emerging Visual Artist. 1241 Carpenter Studios, located in South Philadelphia.
October 3 - 4, 2015 | Upcoming Event: October 7, 2017
Associate Professor, Apparel Design and Merchandising
Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY.
1989 – 1991
Co-Chair Event Organizer for Annual Arts Day Festival, PS 261 Elementary School, Brooklyn, NY. Coordinated over 40 different artists’ in-class workshops, interactive performances and school-wide activities during the festival.
2011 – 2013
Independent Design Consultant
1987 – 2002, Designed and produced original textile & surface designs and products for the cosmetic industry and major department stores in the USA, Germany and Japan. Clients include Estee Lauder, Prescriptive, Revlon, Bergdorf Goodman, Barneys, Henri Bendel, Neiman Marcus.
Awarded an InLiquid/Blick Art Microgrant to teach a workshop on Insect Illustration. May 25, 2016.
Juried Winner, August 2015, March 2014, February, March & May 2013, May 2012, March 2010, May 2009 - ArtSlant.
First Place Winner - November 2012, Members Showcase, Mills Pond House Gallery, St James, NY.
Honorable Mention Painting & Embossing - October 2011, Midnight Oils III, Mills Pond House Gallery, St James, NY.
First Place Painting - 2009 Fifth Annual Art and Literary Competition: A Journey Through the Mind, Sculptural Pursuit Magazine.
Honorable Mention Painting - 2008 The Healing Power of Art - Fifth Annual Manhattan Arts International online exhibition.
September 4, 2017, Creating an Experience: An Interview with Artist PD Packard. Featured artist on Fall Issue of Anti-Heroin Chic, by James Diaz.
April 30, 2017, Featured artist on The Postdigital Printmaker Blog.
December 1, 2015, Artists To Look Out For catalogue, sponsored by Starry Night Programs.
October 8, 2015, Philadelphia Open Studio Tours Review, by Ornamento Blogger Martha Aleo.
October 2013, Palate to Plate, Prints and recipes from members of The Boston Printmakers, C. David Thomas.
October 2013, The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams From Over 40 Amazing Artists, by Seth Apter.Spotlight Contributing Artist.
August 4, 2012 – Always Be An Emerging Artist, Daniel Galas reviews Parallax Art Fair: NY.
February 17, 2011 - Times Beacon Record Media, PD Packard featured at Applebank Outreach Program, Leisure section.
Spring 2009 - Sculptural Pursuit Magazine, Spiritual Symbolism & Pragmatic Design.
The Boston Printmakers
INLIQUID art + design, Philadelphia, PA