Lives and works: New York, NY
Certificate of Curatorial Studies, Hunter College 2018
Master of Fine Arts, Hunter College 2014
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Pratt Institute 1994
2009 Oualie Arts. Newark, NJ
2003 Artist in Residence, Ludwig Museum. Budapest, Hungary
1990 Pratt Scholarship Award
• Ludwig Museum. Budapest, Hungary
• Mai Mano House of Hungarian Photography. Budapest, Hungary
• Carnegie Museum of Art, Transformazium Coll. Carnegie Library, Braddock, PA
2015 Thomas Hunter Project Space, Hunter College, New York, NY.Shirley Gloria
2003 Ludwig Museum of Contemporary Art, Budapest, Hungary Lost Gloves of New York City: From Chaos to Order
2001 The Mai Mano House of Hungarian Photography, Budapest, Hungary Characters
Selected Group Exhibitions:
2020 Elisabet Ney Museum, Austin, TX. Suffrage Now: A 19th Amendment Centennial Exhibit
2019 Drawing Rooms, Jersey City, NJ. All Animals Welcome
2019 Æther Gallery, Sophia, Bulgaria Sophia Art Week (SAW)
2019 Arts Westchester, Whiteplains, NY. The Chair Show
2018 One Eyed Studios, New York, NY. What Are You Doing Here in the Dark, Susie?
2018 Local Project, New York, NY. The Feeling is Mutual
2017 Steuben Gallery, Pratt Institute, New York, NY. Warped
2017 Yashar Exhibition Space, New York, NY. Shirley Glori
2016 Yashar Exhibition Space, New York, NY. Little Things
2015 Index Gallery, Newark, NJ. Filmideo [screening]
2015 Brooklyn Fireproof, New York, NY. Self-Love is Not Ego [performance]
2014 Hunter College, 205 Gallery, New York, NY. MFA Thesis Exhibition
2014 Second Floor Gallery, Hunter College, New York, NY. A Dialogue Between a Head of Moss and a Bloom of Magnolia
2012 Hunter College Times Square Gallery, New York, NY. The Amateur Astronomers Society of Voorhees Salon
2012 Ten Days that Shook the World, Provincetown MA, IcemanDotPerformance
2011 Hunter College Times Square Gallery, New York, NY. Play it Again
2010 Ludwig Museum of Contemporary Art, Budapest, Hungary Unmistakable Sentences: The Collection Revisited
2010 Grace Exhibition Space, New York, NY. DataDada
2010 Index Gallery, Newark, NJ. Rock Dreams: Artist Made Songs
2010 Subterranean Arthouse, Berkeley, CA. Mythological Landscapes of the Body
2010 New Jersey School of Architecture Gallery, Newark, NJ. Theater Town
2010 Pop-Up Art. Harsimus Cemetery, Jersey City, NJ. In Spirited Company
2009 Ludwig Museum, Budapest, Hungary. New Acquisitions: Rarely Seen Works
2009 Janos Gat Gallery, New York, NY. Contemporary Hungarian Video Artists [screening]
2009 Oualie Art, Newark, NJ. Unchartered Territories
2008 Eyewash Gallery, New York, NY. Artwalking
2008 NJ School of Architecture Gallery, Newark, NJ. The Westinghouse Project
2008 The White Box. New York, NY. The Dream of the Red Chamber Masquerade Ball
• Vellum Art Magazine, issue #24, Human Nature [publication], June 2020
• Suffrage Now: From the Streets. Elisabet Ney Museum, Austin, TX. [Zoom interview with moderator and photojournalist Erin Trieb.] Oct 15, 2020 2020
• Unmistakable Sentences: The Collection Revisited [Catalog of exhibition]. Ludwig Museum, Budapest HU. 2010.
• New York-i keszty?k [“New York Gloves”, Transl.]. Népszabadság [daily newspaper, HU]. Sept. 22, 2010.
• Walczak, Larry. Walking Williamsburg. NY ARTS Magazine Vol. 13 No.11/12/2008.
• Lost Gloves [exhibition booklet]. Print City Kft publishers, HU. 2003.
• From Chaos to Order [press pamphlet]. Ludwig Museum, Budapest, HU. 2003.
• Talált Tárgyak Múvészeti Osztálya [“Found Objects As Art”, Transl.]. Metro Newspaper [daily newspaper, HU] Sept.19, 2003.
• Új Id?szaki Kiállitások [“Contemporary Exhibitions”, Transl.]. Múzeumi Hírlevel [“Museum News”, Transl.”]. HU. Sept, 2003.
• Káosztól Rendig [“From Chaos to Order”, Transl.]. Fotó Mozaik magazine, HU. Oct, 2003.
• Regard Hongrois-Hungarian Photographers: In the Garden of the Palais Royal, [Catalog of ?exhibition], PAULKER publishers. 2001.
Authored Published Art Writing by Rebecca Major:
• Major, Rebecca. Copy, Translate, Repeat, [Catalog; essay on artist Leandro Katz], Hunter College New York, NY, 2018.
• Major, Rebecca. In Preparation: On the Curatorial Experience at Hunter”, [Interviews with art-historian and curators, Harper Montgomery, Joachim Pissarro and Jenny Jaskey] The Artists Institute & Hunter College, New York, NY, 2015.
• Major, Rebecca. Open Work in Latin America, New York & Beyond: Conceptualism Reconsidered, 1967 –1978. Liliana Porter: Interview. [Catalog essay}. Hunter College, New York, NY. 2012